When you gaze across your lawn, the thought might occur: “Is it time to water my grass a better way?”
For those of us who invest in our homes, the outside can be just as important as the inside. Sprinkler systems make a big impact on the aesthetic around your home, especially if you’ve planted fresh flowers and laid down grass seed. You might find that your efforts were wasted if you’re unable to water your lawn and garden properly.
If you’re experiencing a mechanical problem with your sprinkler system, Select Home Warranty can repair or replace it according to your home warranty plan.
Not all home warranty companies offer coverage on sprinkler systems, so if you don’t already have coverage, get your free quote with Select Home Warranty today.
How Often Should You Replace Your Lawn Sprinkler System?
How long is the life expectancy of the average sprinkler system? This system can last up to 20 years, but you’ll likely experience minor breakdowns every 3-10 year, depending on how much you invest in the quality of your sprinkler system.
You should also be sure to inspect your sprinkler system as least once a year.
Cost to Replace a Sprinkler System
The cost to replace your sprinkler system can run upwards of $100.
When the seasons change for colder weather, be sure you turn the water valve off to the outside. This is a common problem that can cause issues with water pressure and breakage along the lines.
Common Solutions to Fix a Sprinkler System
When you try to identify the problem with your sprinkler, it may come down to components in individual zones, or the problem could be with a more central component. These are the usual components of a sprinkler system:
- The Water Meter
- The Backflow Prevention Device
- The Valve Box
- The Controller
- The Sprinkler Heads
The most common problems are minor and involve the sprinkler heads. Unlike the most important mechanical components of your sprinkler system, the heads are exposed and can easily be tampered with.
Turn your sprinklers off and take these steps to check for minor problems.
Sprinkler Head Troubleshooting
- Check for clogs in the filter or nozzle of your sprinkler heads. Dirt can easily get trapped here, so use tweezers to clear clogs.
- Check for leaks around the sprinkler heads. A cap may be loose or there could be damage from unusual pressure on the sprinkler head, such as from a lawn mower.
- If you do find the sprinkler head needs replacing, be sure you find the correct size for the piece as not to over-water or under-water your lawn.
Sprinkler Pump Troubleshooting
- Turn off your sprinkler and inspect the impeller. Be sure the impeller is free of debris or damage.
- Check the wire connecting your pump to the electricity source for damage. The problem could also be the gauge if your pump is not receiving enough electricity.
How to Fix Your Sprinkler System
Fixing your sprinkler system will have far-reaching effects. Improve the quality of your home’s aesthetic, efficiently water your garden beds and turn your lawn into the perfect patch of paradise you’ve always wanted.
Home warranties exist to help you repair and replace the most essential areas of your home, including your sprinkler system. When caring for the mechanical parts of your home, it’s best to rely on an expert.
Your home warranty will take it from here if trouble shooting the problem shows your sprinkler system is broken. Follow these steps to have your sprinkler system working again:
- Place a claim by submitting your claim online or calling us at 1-855-267-3532.
- Coordinate the best time for the repair technician to come.
- Pay a modest day-of service fee.
- Follow the guidance of the dispatched expert.
Select Home Warranty will cover expenses relating to your terms of service. All you have to do is find the best time for them to come and to pay the day-of service fee.
Home Warranty Coverage: Sprinkler Systems, Pools, Wells, Pipes & More
Sprinkler system coverage is offered through Select Home Warranty’s optional coverage plans. Did you know you can add coverage for your yard’s pool or well, too?
The best part is that coverage on your plumbing system and pipes is included in standard home warranty coverages. Check out optional plans to cover all the most important areas of your unique home.
Don’t have a home warranty? Now is the BEST time to get a FREE quote. Select Home Warranty is here to guard your home and your wallet.